- Created on 28 September 2011
The majority of work places use Microsoft Office, however for compatibility the best format tends to be Adobe PDF. PDFs, although perfect for viewing files, provide very little opportunity for editing unless you are willing to shell out for the full Adobe Acrobat X package, which for the majority of us is financially out of the question. Therefore many smaller software companies provide PDF editors, one of which is Tracker Software Products PDF-XChange 4 Pro.
- World leading compression and optimization technology
- Includes PDF-XChange Viewer PRO PDF reader and PDF-Tools PDF wizard application
- Create new PDF files from the output of any Windows application
- Complete Control over PDF creation properties
- Batched & "Watched" Folder Conversion to PDF of MS Office documents
- ISO PDF/A 1a & 1b format support for guaranteed long term archive standards support
- Create Interactive Adobe AcroForms (using converted MS Word Web forms via Toolbar Add-in)
- Document Security - Password Protection &Permission options
- PDF writer Optimization/Compression Controls
- Advanced Memory Management
- Convert Image files to PDF (Raster/Metafile Imgae Formats)
- Convert PDF to Image Formats (Raster Formats only - BMP, JPEG, TIFF, etc.)
- Append/Prepend Pages from one PDF file into another PDF file
- Comprehensive Job Management Features
- Extended functionality provided for MS Office integration - via the Toolbar Add-in
- Scan Direct to PDF
- Convert to PDF, Images and Text without the use of third-party applications
- Manipulate and Modify Exisiting PDF files
- Extract Content from PDF to Text/Image/PDF formats
- Add/Edit/Modify Bookmarks
- Convert .RTF & .DOC to PDF (no OCR capabilities)
- Extract PDF pages to a new PDF file
- Split/Merge PDF files
- Delete/Crop/Rotate PDF pages
- Re-Order Pages within a PDF file
- Paper Settings & Custom Forms options
- Control Resolution/Scaling
- Mirrored Printing support
- Include 'clickable' URL links - embedded (eg. Click Here & Send Email)
- MS Office Table of Contents (TOC) 'Clickable' links convert to PDF
- n-UP Printing mode - automatically mounts and rescales pages to a single page and calculates correct page positions etc.
- Enhanced visual layout previewer allow you to resize pages via the printer preferences
- Brochure/Booklet Mode print output
- Flexible DPI output options 50 - 2400DPI available
- CJK fonts/character set support
- Add Watermarks or Overlay PDF pages to new PDF output - ideal for Company Stationery use.
- Auto Bookmark generation
- Auto Header/Footer generation
- Graphics Downsampling options(Linear, Bilinear, Bicubic) also Colour ->Grayscale->Mono options
- Extended Font embedding options
- Profiles - create specific printer preferences and save to Profiles for future use.
- MAPI/SMTP Automated Email integration options
- Developers API available(subject to licensing)
- Multi-language UI support
- Windows 2000 > Windows 7 (32/64 bit)
- Citrix Metaframe/Terminal Server Certified.
- Comprehensive Digital Signature and Security including 40/128 bit RC4 and 128/256 bit AES Encryption options
- Print to PDF from a virtual printer listed in your printers list
- OFFice2PDF - Advanced MS Office - Batch File PDF Converter supplied free
PDF-XChange 4 Pro has a wealth of tools to make your PDF life easier. Upon opening a standard PDF you have a number of options for editing, formatting, commenting and organising your PDF documents. The toolbars are easy to navigate and you can very easily adapt to the functions. PDF documents can be edited to allow the user to import pages, extract pages and move pages around. This is a great function if the user requires to import diagrams from other PDFS and pages from other PDF documents produced by other authors contributing to the same document. One very useful tool is the comments section. This is great for reviewing a pdf document and for adding comments as necessary. The reviewer can also add links within the document to allow the reviewer to cross reference to other parts of the PDF. This is particularly useful if you have a large PDF document.Reviewers can also take a snapshot of a particular part of the PDF if they want to email a particular query to the Author for clarification.
Once comments are complete the reviewer has the opportunity to export comments to various formats so that the comments can be manipulated and presented in the form the reviewer wishes. Alternatively the reviewer can save the PDF with the marked up comments on the PDF for the Author to review. Another excellent function to the comments section is the opportunity for a number of users to input markup comments into one document. For example, if 5 people have to review and comment on a particular PDF, all 5 reviewers can comment on 5 separate copies of the same pdf and then export their comments to an FDF datafile. Once all comments are complete the Author can import all 5 comments into a “master document” and address all 5 reviewers comments. Once all comments have been addressed, and the document is complete, the author can also input a digital signature into the document. This is very useful if letters or documents for quality control need signing digitally for email purposes. The author or reviewer also has the opportunity to mark the status of the PDF with a variety of stamps. This is good for quality control purposes.
PDF-XChange 4 Pro has an interface with applications such as Microsoft Word providing an additional Toolbar in Word to allow PDF-XChange4 Pro to convert and save as PDFS and also email Word documents as PDFS. Although a minor tool it saves time and is easy to use..
£47 (at the time of writing)
NOTE: There is a free version of PDF-XChange 4 that can be downloaded but the functionality is limited and all documents created include a watermark, therefore for a little investment we would recommend purchasing the licence to upgrade to PDF-XChange 4 Pro to use its full powerful functionality.
5/5 PDF-XChange 4 Pro is highly recommended if you require the ability to fully utilise PDF documents with extensive functionality making the use and manipulation of PDFs isa lot easier