- Created on 20 February 2010
Company announces over 60 certified phones including Android devices; extends relationship with Qualcomm
DivX, Inc. (NASDAQ: DIVX), a leading digital media company, today announced new metrics that reflect the Company's growing penetration of the global mobile video market. Over 60 mobile phones from multiple manufacturers have now achieved DivX Certification, including 15% of all Android devices. In addition, DivX announced a new licensing agreement with consumer electronics manufacturer Pantech, as well as an expanded relationship with Qualcomm to certify the leading Snapdragon IC platform.
DivX technology enables consumers to enjoy high-quality digital video on any kind of device, regardless of connectivity or manufacturer. Over 250 million DivX devices have shipped into the market worldwide, ranging from Blu-ray players to gaming consoles, digital televisions as well as a wide variety of other consumer electronic devices. Additionally, the Company has seen strong traction from both consumers and partners in the mobile phone market since the official launch of the DivX certification program in August, 2007. Key highlights of the DivX mobile program include:
- More than 60 DivX Certified phones from multiple manufacturers, such as LG and Samsung, have shipped into the global market including several DivX Mobile Theater profile models;
- 41 mobile devices were certified by DivX in 2009 alone;
- In addition to the Android device penetration, DivX also offers certified solutions for Windows Mobile, Symbian and Linux;
- All DivX Certified devices support the secure playback of major Hollywood titles from studios including Warner Bros., Paramount, Sony Pictures, Starz Entertainment and Lionsgate;
- Multiple online sites now distribute Hollywood content in the DivX format including CinemaNow (United States), Film Fresh (United States), Warner Video Live (France), FilmOn (UK), Play4Film (Worldwide), INA (France), Channel Films (UK), Clic Movies (France, Belgium); Tai Seng (United States, Canada) and L'Harmattan TV (Worldwide);
- Agreements are in place from major mobile Integrated Circuits (IC) companies including Qualcomm, Renesas, MtekVision, ST Ericsson, Broadcom, and Freescale;
- DivX TV, the company's newly announced solution for streaming Internet content directly to connected devices, has been ported to Android-based hardware platforms. Technology demonstrations will be available at the DivX and Qualcomm booths at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain.
"The explosion of video capability on mobile phones clearly illustrates that consumers are seeking out new devices that will allow them to easily move and share the video content they care about across all the screens in their lifestyle," said Kevin Hell, CEO of DivX, Inc. "We believe that mobile devices will play an incredibly important role in the future of video distribution and consumption, and we're pleased that multiple manufacturers recognize the importance of the DivX brand in providing their consumers a seamless, high-quality video experience."
DivX Certified phones are all tested to guarantee high-quality DivX video playback. Users can also store up to 10 DVD quality movies on their phone with 8GB of internal memory or a removable card, and watch their collection of movies anywhere they choose with no conversion necessary. With high-quality resolution DivX playback, consumers who own phones with a TV-Out feature can playback video content from their phone directly on the TV turning their device into a powerful portable media player.
For more information on the DivX in mobile devices, visit www.divx.com/mobile.
DivX, Inc. is a leading digital media company that enables consumers to enjoy a high-quality video experience across any kind of device. DivX creates, distributes and licenses digital video technologies that span the "three screens" comprising today's consumer media environment-the PC, the television and mobile devices. Over 250 million DivX devices have shipped into the market worldwide from leading consumer electronics manufacturers. DivX also offers content providers and publishers a complete solution for the distribution of secure, high-quality digital video content. Driven by a globally recognized brand and a passionate community of hundreds of millions of consumers, DivX is simplifying the video experience to enable the digital home.
Statements in this press release that are not strictly historical in nature constitute "forward-looking statements." Such statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding DivX's visibility within the investment community and the availability of certain DivX enabled products to consumers. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause DivX's actual results to be materially different from historical results or from any results expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. These factors include, but are not limited to: the risk that customer use of DivX technology may not grow as anticipated; the risk that anticipated market opportunities may not materialize at expected levels, or at all; the risk that the Company's activities may not result in the growth of profitable revenue; risks and uncertainties related to the maintenance and strength of the DivX brand; risks associated with DivX's ability to penetrate existing and new markets; risks regarding the effects of competition; the risk of DivX's dependence on its licensees and partners; risks related to the effect of intellectual property rights claims; risks related to DivX's partners' ability to make certain products available to consumers on specified timelines, or at all; and other factors discussed in the "Risk Factors" section of DivX's most recent report filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. All forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement. DivX is providing this information as of the date of this release and does not undertake any obligation to update any forward-looking statements contained in this release as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.