No. 1 Bestselling Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, with Lifetime Sales of over36 Million Copies – Now Available as a Smartphone-friendlyApplication With Groundbreaking New Features
- Created on 14 September 2011
Fantastic,multi-faceted dictionary: offline content, British and American single-word andfull-sentence pronunciations; ‘My View’ customization; thousands of colourful individualand group illustrations and the essential ‘Oxford 3000 Keywords’, all at the tapof a touchscreen!
Oxford/Freiburg– September, 2011 – Paragon Software Group,a leading multi-platform software developer for mobile devices and desktopcomputers, and Oxford University Press, thepublisher of the world’s most trusted dictionaries and learning materials, haveunited to bring the world’s best-selling dictionary for learners of English asa foreign language to smartphone users everywhere. Engineered with powerful,cutting-edge features – including full-sentence pronunciations and groupedgraphics – the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, 8th edition,for iPhone®, iPad® and iPod touch® mobile devices is easily customizable usingthe advanced My View feature which allows users to decide exactly whichinformation they want to see, and to find it fast and easily.
Thousands of detailedgraphics bring words and definitions to life. Headwords may be shown withindividual photos or illustrations, while many words are accompanied by groupedgraphics – a collection of words and pictures that instantly expand vocabulary.The word “city” allows you to walk the streets of a modern city and see what anarcade or skyscraper is, visualize the difference between a traffic light orstreet light, and much more. Postbox, letter box or mailbox? See it, read it,listen to it!
The Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionaryapplication is pre-loaded with audio pronunciations of not just single words,but entire sentences. Users can focus on learning the way words are really usedby placing them in context, and they can even listen to British or Americanaccents, or both. If they choose to download the audio modules, they can do allof this even when they’re offline!
Users can access a wealth of additionalinformation to help them enrich their vocabulary and use language correctly andwith confidence. Tap on a MENU heading in thousands of entries to see theintegrated thesaurus, collocations, grammar and vocabulary notes, articles onBritish and American culture, extra example sentences and verb forms.
To help keep all this information accessible, theMy View feature allows users to control how much or little is displayedon screen. Hide all of the options and view only the most basic information, orcreate a mix of settings that match personal learning needs and interests.
“The new medium of smartphone applications opensa whole world of possibilities for using dictionaries on the move,” says JoannaTurnbull, editor of the OALD 8th edition. “With more than58,000 recorded full sentences, users are able to grasp a new language evenmore effectively than before. By building the program shell for Oxfordfrom the ground up, Paragon was able to introduce the rich audio modules andadd interesting new ways of exploring the full dictionary content – as well asallowing the user to customize exactly what information is displayed – withoutsacrificing application speed or power.”
OxfordAdvanced Learner’s Dictionary features include:
· 183,500words, phrases and meanings explained clearly.
· 116,000 audiopronunciations and phonetic transcriptions – spoken in both British English andAmerican English accents and recorded by native speakers.
· 1,300 clearindividual and group images.
· Oxford 3000Keywords show the most importantwords to learn.
· Integratedthesaurus provides thousands of synonyms, and lists of collocations (words thatgo together) to build vocabulary.
· Use MyView to choose how much information appears on your screen – hide IPA,example sentences, pictures, synonyms, etc. – tap to show the full entry again.Define your customized view in settings.
· Easy-to-understanddefinitions are written using words from the Oxford 3000 wordlist.
· Tap on anyunknown word in an entry to look it up immediately.
· Similarlyspelled words are listed in case of misspelling when searching.
· Fulldictionary search allows users to find the word they want used in examples andphrases (i.e. the idiom or phrasal verb).
· Parts ofspeech are included in the index to help users select the one they want.
· Menu in manyentries allows users to open additional information about word, including verbforms, culture, example bank, synonyms, collocations etc.
· SearchHistory for the last 100 entries looked up.
· Create yourown list of favourite words.
· No on-going Internet connection required (for headword audio only): simply download thedictionary once and use it on your device without any additional wi-fi expenseor availability issues (Full sound databases can be downloaded from thesettings screen, which require an Internet connection).
Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary applicationwill be demoed at FrankfurtBook Fair, at Paragon’s StandL973, Hall 8.0.
OxfordAdvanced Learner’s Dictionary application for iPhone®, iPod® and iPod touch®mobile devices is available for 19,99 GBP (22,99 EUR, 28,99 USD) in the AppStore: http://itunes.apple.com/app/oxford-advanced-learners-dictionary/id442911228
OxfordUniversity Press Oxford University Press is a departmentof the University of Oxford. It furthers the University's objective ofexcellence in research, scholarship, and education by publishing worldwide. OUPis the world's largest university press, with a wide global reach. It currentlypublishes more than 6,000 new publications a year, has a presence in aroundfifty countries, and employs more than 5,000 people worldwide. It has becomefamiliar to millions through a diverse publishing programme that includesscholarly works in all academic disciplines, bibles, music, school and collegetextbooks, children's books, materials for teaching English as a foreignlanguage, business books, dictionaries and reference books, and academicjournals.
To find out more aboutOxford University Press please visit www.oup.com.To find out about OUP’s English Language Teaching publications please visit www.oup.com/elt.
Paragon Software Group
Paragon Software Group offers softwarefor diverse classes of smartphones (Android, bada, BlackBerry, iPhone, iPad, iPodtouch, Java, Windows Mobile, Symbian OS) and desktop PCs, includingmultilingual on-line handwriting recognition, localization, business andproductivity applications, games, 120 multilingual dictionaries andencyclopedias. PSG has offices in the USA, Germany, Japan, and Russia. PSGprovides technology to a host of world-class companies and partners includingHTC, Microsoft, Motorola, Nokia, Samsung, Sony Ericsson. To learn more aboutPSG, please visit: http://www.penreader.com